We had not planned on growing watermelon but were gifted with a massive box of Burpee seeds from a few growing seasons ago. So we agreed if anything grew, great — and if not, we wouldn’t be too sad. Oh hello all of a sudden happy watermelon vine! This one even had a case of “dog vomit” mold early in the season (which turns out is harmless but so ooky).
- 7/30/2017 — Lone melon is growing steadily. Trying not to water but it has been crazy hot lately.
- 7/8/2017 — We have one melon growing, so cute! We did find another developing on the same vine but pinched it off. I think if we get one actual melon from this it will be amazing.
- 6/17/2017 — At least 3 blossoms emerging, likely male (or so the internet tells me) and vine taking over space between raised beds.
- 6/8/2017 — Trying to steer the vine off to the side from the back of the raised bed.
- Mid May — Probably should have thinned these a bit quicker but got confused about what had sprouted. Two viable plants but one doing obviously better — opposite corners of raised bed.
- 4/11/2017 — Planted on mounds directly in raised bed.